001 – Introduction, course outline and expectations

Welcome to an exciting and challenging semester in Media. We will be exploring the world of the music video and developing our skills as both critics and creators of the art form. We will also investigate advertising in the media and have a go at creating a 30 second ad aimed at a specific audience; however, before we begin, it is really important that we get to know each other.

EXPECTATIONS

In groups of four, write down five things that you expect of me. As your teacher I have certain responsibilities. If I was the best teacher in the world, what kind of things would I be doing?

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester one – PRODUCTION SKILLS & MUSIC VIDEO

• Production skills workshop
  • Research
  • Analysis
  • Production

Assessment

1. Sound, camera and editing tasks (group)                                                       20%
  2. Analysis of music video (individual)                                                               40%
  3. Production of original music video (group)                                                   40%

Semester two – ADVERTISING

• COMMUNICATION THEORY
  • ANALYSIS
  • PRODUCTION

Assessment

1. Close analysis of Ads and completion of research booklet (individual)   50%
  2. Production of original trailer for teen film (group)                                     50%